The ideal habitat for the cultivation of Pinot Nero, the grape variety which has been cultivated in South Tyrol since circa mid-1800ís, is on the orographic left bank of the Adige valley, in particular in the hills of Egna, Montagna and Salorno. The silty soils with a lithological mixed composition (porphyry and dolomite), along with the sharp fluctuations in temperature, from morning to night, which occur during the grape ripening period, impart body and aroma to the wine. Durer-Weg Pinot Nero has a ruby red colour, with a distinctive aroma of forest fruits and morel. Structured and silky tanniness on the palate.
Durer-Weg (Durerís path) is the leg of the journey that brought the famous German Renaissance painter and engraver Albrecht Durer from Salorno to Cembra on the border between Alto Adige and Trentino in 1494. That path is still travelled by thousands of enthusiasts of nature and local culture, retracing the footsteps of the artistís famous journey. Today, the Durer-Weg winery is located in the historic An der Lan palace in Salorno, already a winery in 1900, where it produces wines from the Alto Adige region for La Vis members. On the well-exposed hills of Buchholz (Pochi), Neumarkt (Egna) and Salurn (Salorno), clones of historic Lagrein, Gewurztraminer, Pinot bianco, Pinot nero, Chardonnay and Pinot grigio grapes are grown. The vineyards are tended, almost cared for, with extraordinary dedication by the families of farmers who for centuries have braved the challenges and unpredictable rhythms of nature typical of the area. The alluring aromatic notes of the wines not only reflect the erratic climatic conditions of this region, where the mild Mediterranean and rigid Alpine climates meet, but also reveal the rich mineral composition of the ancient lands brought to the surface when the Alps rose up.
The austere and complex Pinot blanc from Vigna Trattmannhof, the rich and sumptuous Gewurztraminer Lochrachhof, the ancient and wise Lagrein Masetti Centíanni and the sophisticated, velvety Pinot noir Pichlhof are the regionís most representative wines and a synthesis of the unique characteristics of a number of selected vineyards, carefully chosen over the years with masterly techniques. These prestigious wines come with a beautiful label bearing an image of Albrecht Durerís “Saint ChristopherĒ wood engraving (1511).