For sippin’. A true moonshine experience. · Ole Smoky’s ® original moonshine is an unaged corn whiskey made from corn grown by local farmers in East Tennessee. Our century-old recipe proclaims a grain bill of 80% corn, with the remaining 20% a secret that gives Ole Smoky ® the distinct character and bold flavor of Tennessee moonshine. If you like whiskey, you don’t want to miss this one. Best drank from the Jar!
|Our families were among the early settlers of the Smoky Mountains - they came to the Smokies through Virginia and North Carolina. They honed the art of whiskey making in order to survive during tough economic times. Most families from this area share a history of a family member making, running or selling whiskey. Today, the true moonshiners and bootleggers still consider it taboo to tell stories or brag about moonshine glory. Because of the consequences, talking about your craft or trade was something you just didn’t do.
HOW AND WHY
When Tennessee state law recently changed to allow the distillation of spirits, we saw an opportunity to showcase the art of superior mountain-made moonshine. The Ole Smoky recipes are the product of the hard work and experience of local families who have made moonshine in the mountains for the last two hundred years.
Ole Smoky is the first federally licensed distillery in the history of East Tennessee.
FAMILY BUSINESS, LOCAL SUPPLIERS
This is a local family business. Our whiskey is born in the fertile soil of East Tennessee farms where our corn is raised and then transported to our family’s mill to be ground for Tennessee’s original moonshine. At the distillery, you can see the grains converted into the clear corn liquor this part of the country is famous for.