Clos Canon is located just southwest of the village of Saint-Emilion, France, near the Church of St-Martin. In 1760, Jacques Kanon bought a small vineyard that surrounded the Church called Clos St. Martin – that parcel was to become the cornerstone of current-day Clos Canon. Over the following decade, Jacques expanded the property – still known as Clos St. Martin – to almost its current size. The estate changed hands again in 1919, when it was purchased by Andre Fournier. The Fournier family extended the reputation of the property and in 1853 renamed it Clos Canon, much to the consternation of Chateau Canon of Fronsac. In the early 1990’s the vines began to show signs of disease and in 1996 the Fourniers sold it to the Wertheimer family, who own the House of Chanel. Clos Canon sits on a limestone plateau and the soils in the estate are a mix of limestone and clay. 133 acres of vines were planted in a south, southwest exposition with Merlot (75%) and 25% Cabernet Franc (25%) at an average density of 5,500 plants per hectare. The vines are an average age of 26 years old. At harvest, the fruit is double sorted, destemmed, crushed and transferred via gravity. Two thirds of the wine ferments in stainless steel tanks and one third in barrel. The wine was aged for 18-20 months in French oak barrels (60%-80% new), racked every three months and fined with egg whites. Under the guidance of managing director John Kolasa, the vineyards have been replanted and the winery renovated.